The Journal of Defence Studies is a quarterly, refereed research periodical published by the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses, New Delhi. It seeks to encourage further research on the core issues of defence, provides the latest perspectives, and serves as a platform for sharing research findings and opinions of scholars working on defence-related issues.
The Journal contains a mix of research articles, essays, topical commentaries, opinion pieces and book reviews. Each issue includes articles on varied themes of relevance to the Indian Armed Forces, including emerging security threats and scenarios; civil-military relations; higher defence planning; doctrines and concepts; organizations and structures; command and control mechanisms; logistical support and sustainability issues; budgeting procedures and practices; and other related issues in the area of defence and national security. The Journal would also focus on issues concerning defence policy, reforms in defence sector, and defence economics.
The issue carries articles on equilibrium in higher defence organisation, countering radicalisation, and situating the Arthashastra in international relations. There is a perspective on the reorganisation of defence outlay for FY 2016-17, a commentary on the latest Australian Defence White Paper, and a review essay on the 1965 India-Pakistan War. Read the issue [+]
Call for Papers
Journal of Defence Studies is calling for original articles/commentaries/book reviews on various issues related to defence and national security and strategy for its forthcoming issues. The contributions should be addressed to The Editor, Journal of Defence Studies, IDSA and sent to the following email id: firstname.lastname@example.org
Detailed Guidelines for Contributors can be found here.
Letters to the Editor
We have instituted a ‘Letters to the Editor’ section in the journal. The idea is to engage with our readers, to know what they think about the content of each issue as well as seek their help in making JDS into a world-renowned journal that appeals to the strategic community. Letters can be sent addressed to The Editor, Journal of Defence Studies, IDSA on the following email id: email@example.com.
The Journal reserves the right to use the letter in its original form and/or modify, carry excerpts from the letters.
- The copyright of the Journal rests with the IDSA.
- The Journal welcomes two kinds of contributions: full-length analytical articles ranging between 4000–6000 words, and commentaries/book review essays between 2000–3000 words.
- The articles/commentaries should contain new ideas, fresh analyses, and policy recommendations. It is necessary that the articles/commentaries submitted to the Journal are original and not published elsewhere.
- The articles will be peer reviewed/refereed before final selection for publication.
- The Editor/Institute reserves the right to make a final decision on publication post-review as well as the right to make alterations.
- Selected contributors will be informed of the decision to include their articles in the forthcoming Journal issue via email.
- Selected contributors will receive an honorarium for their contribution.
Editorial Advisory Board
Admiral (Retd.) Arun Prakash
Air Chief Marshal (Retd.) S. Krishnaswamy
Lieutenant General (Retd.) S.S. Mehta
Vice Admiral (Retd.) Premvir Das
Shri Rajan Katoch
Shri K.V.S.S. Prasad Rao
IDSA Editorial Committee